Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Journal Entry #7

1. Orwell tries to prove his point that the English language is in trouble by saying that our thoughts or feelings has something to do with it. He also blames our bad habits or even ways that we grew accustomed to has a part of it as well.
2. I do agree with Orwell with the part that the english language has become worse especially in schools and is being abused in our daily lives. Many people will agree with me on this because the older people has seen changes throught out their time.
3. I do not agree with all of Orwell’s rules. I don't belive in all cases that you should use a big word but instead cut to the cases and make it understandable for all readers. I believe using words people don't see all of the time is good for us, because if we don’t understand something that is what the dictionary is for. I don’t think someone should have to down grade their writing knowledge for someone else when they can simply look something up that they do not understand.
4. When Orwell says you should focus on pictures and sensations before you put words on paper, I think he wants the writer to know what they are describing and describe it in detail as if it were right in front of them and not in their brain. I think the details is the point that gives essay the creativity.

No comments: